Tag Archives: Vegan friendly
Yes I said it Vegetarian and vegan friendly alcohol! To our surprise there is a wide variety of beer wine and liquor that is considered vegan friendly. There are certain ingredients that beers have that make a beer non vegan including dairy, sea shells, and even chicken:
- -Isinglass: this is used to stabilize the foam (head). This certain ingredient comes from the swim-bladders of fish. Collagen is the active ingredient that is used from the bladder and is more common in European beers.
- -Gelatin: this is a given everybody knows, if not you now do, that gelatin is made by extracting collagen from the hides and bones from farm animals.
- -Bone Char: this is used to filter beer, this is in a nut shell burnt bones. Beer runs through a bone char to remove impurities.
- -Honey: this is sometime used as a sweetener for beer, bees make honey.
Even though you are now educated on what makes a beer non vegan friendly, some or most of these ingredients are not listed because some were used in the filtering process. Thanks to the internet you can find a complete list of beers that are vegan friendly as well as wine and liquor. Some popular alcohol items that would surprise you and ARE vegan friendly:
- -Becks, Blue Moon Belgian White, Shiner Original
- -Coors, Bud Light, Corona
- -Modelo, Kronenbourg 1664, Lone Star